💵🏅Government Of Canada Announces Funding to Improve Economic Security for Women in Professional Sport
Thursday, 16 November 2023 06:25.PM
Stereotypes, discrimination, and bias contribute to gender inequity in women's professional sport, limiting the industry's economic and social potential. Investment in women's sport provides leadership and career opportunities for Canadians.
Today, the Honourable Marci Ien, Minister for Women and Gender Equality and Youth announced $325,000 for Canadian Women & Sport, to support the Commercial Women's Sport Initiative, which aims to:
• Shift mindsets on the economic value and investment potential of women's professional sport
• Enhance capacity to embed intersectional gender equity into women's professional sport
This will be achieved through a network of champions, continued research on the business and social value of these investments, a communications campaign, outreach to stakeholders in the sports industry, as well as measurement and evaluation activities.
Minister Ien also participated in a roundtable discussion with Allison Sandmeyer-Graves, CEO of Canadian Women & Sport, and other industry leaders, to discuss the barriers faced by women in professional sport and to chart a path forward.
Women and Gender Equality Canada is invested in both the economic and social benefits of women's professional sport. The Government of Canada will continue to collaborate with women's organizations to support initiatives that advance gender equality.
"Women's pro sports are more accessible and engaging than ever before, though we know that there is still a significant amount of untapped economic potential. The Government of Canada is proud to support Canadian Women & Sport as they work to unlock this potential, while also bringing the industry together. Canadian women's pro teams are among the best in the world, and they deserve to be supported in every way."
The Honourable Marci Ien, Minister for Women and Gender Equality and Youth
• Budget 2023 allocated $160 million over three years, starting in 2023-24, for the Women's Program to provide funding to organizations in Canada that serve women.
• In a recent survey, 76 percent of girls in Canada reported that sport participation enhances their mental and emotional health and builds their confidence (Data Source: Canadian Women & Sport 2022 Rally Report).
• The Government of Canada is committed to achieving gender equality in sport at every level by 2035 (Data Source: Canadian Heritage News Release: Supporting Gender Equality in Sport).
• Canadian Women & Sport is the leading voice and authority on gender equity and inclusion in sport in Canada. For over 40 years, the organization has driven progress by working directly with sport organizations and leaders to address the barriers to participation women and girls continue to face.
SOURCE: Women and Gender Equality Canada
- 15-Feb-2024 10:23 AM JOBS 👷♂️ Canada Announces Over $4 million to Support Critical Minerals Value Chains and Create Good Jobs in Ontario 👩🏭
- 13-Feb-2024 12:00 PM 🚓🏎️💵 Government of Canada hosts National Summit on Combatting Auto Theft
- 08-Feb-2024 08:00 AM 🚓🏎️💵 Government Of Canada Announces Federal Investment to Combat Export of Stolen Vehicles
- 22-Dec-2023 04:33 PM ⚕️💵 Canada Signs More Than $1 Billion Bilateral Agreement with Alberta to Improve Health Care Over Three Years
- 22-Dec-2023 12:00 PM ⚕️💵 Government of Canada Invests in Projects to Help People in Canada Address and Adapt to the Impacts of Climate Change to Their Health
- 22-Dec-2023 08:00 AM 🏠💵 Removing Barriers to Build More Homes, Faster in Toronto, Ontario
- 21-Dec-2023 06:42 PM 💵Transport Canada Funds Innovative Research to Prevent Spread of Invasive Species in Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River
- 21-Dec-2023 04:11 PM ⚕️🩸💵 Government Of Canada Supports Community Initiatives Addressing HIV, Hepatitis C, and Other Sexually Transmitted and Blood-Borne Infections
- 08-Dec-2023 10:36 AM 🏠💵 Helping Build More Homes, Faster in Richmond Hill
- 06-Dec-2023 02:33 PM 🏛️💼📜💵 Government of Canada announces an additional $6 million to protect Fort Mississauga National Historic Site 🌳🍃🌺🐩