Government of Canada Strengthens Access to Sexual and Reproductive Health Services for Youth
Saturday, 03 September 2022 10:22.AM
The Government of Canada firmly believes that everyone should have access to safe and consistent sexual and reproductive health services. To do so, we are committed to removing barriers to access that continue to exist from coast to coast to coast.
The Government of Canada recognizes the importance of improving accessibility and promoting inclusion for everyone in Canada, including youth. Today, the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Health, announced more than $2.8 million in funding from the Sexual and Reproductive Health Fund for projects by the Centre for Sexuality, and the Sex Information and Education Council of Canada (SIECCAN). These projects will improve access to sexual and reproductive health services and resources for people in Canada who face the greatest barriers to access, more specifically youth, persons with disabilities, and Indigenous peoples.
The Centre for Sexuality will receive $2,033,062 to adapt their existing in-person program, the Relationship and Sexual Health Education program, to include an online component as well as content related to the particular needs of LGBTQ2 youth, First Nations communities, and persons with developmental disabilities. This project will also support the development of training resources for health care providers to help them better meet the needs of these specific populations.
SIECCAN will receive $805,916 to provide health service providers with the materials and tools to improve sexual health promotion for Autistic youth and disabled youth .This project will develop toolkits to improve care and services tailored to these populations.
These investments reflect our belief that reproductive rights are fundamental rights, and as such our Government will always protect these rights for all individuals in Canada.
"Everyone should have access to quality health services, where and when they need it. That's why our government is committed to removing barriers and stigma that many across the country continue to face when accessing sexual and reproductive health services. Together, with organizations like the Centre for Sexuality and SIECCAN we are improving access to these essential services for youth, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and LGBTQ2 communities."
- The Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Health
• Budget 2021 committed $45 million over three years, starting in 2021-22, to improve access to sexual and reproductive health care support, information, and services for people in Canada who face the greatest barriers to access.
• Of this $45 million commitment, $24.9 million has been allocated to date. Nine projects, valued at $15.2 million, are underway. Of these nine projects, two address access to abortion, five address LGBTQ2 communities and two address youth. Two include components focusing on Indigenous Peoples. In addition, per capita funding of $9.7 million will be provided to the Province of Québec to support community-based organizations located in Québec.
• The Sexual and Reproductive Health Fund was created to support a wide range of evidence-informed and innovative projects for populations who are at increased risk for poorer sexual and reproductive health outcomes, including members of LGBTQ2 communities, Indigenous and racialized people, women and youth.
• Budget 2022 committed $79 million over six years to help support people in Canada who want to become parents by allowing certain medical expenses related to surrogacy or sperm, ova, or embryo donor fees to be eligible under the Medical Expense Tax Credit for 2022 and subsequent taxation years.
SOURCE: Health Canada
- 27-Mar-2023 10:21 AM TAX TIP Voices Prepares Voice Actors for Tax Season With Tax Education Campaign
- 26-Mar-2023 02:23 PM TAX TIP Valuing Your Cryptocurrency
- 23-Mar-2023 10:21 AM TAX TIP The CRA Would Like to Remind You That it Has Resumed Debt Recovery Activities; Here's How it May Impact Your Benefit, Credit, and Refund Payments
- 21-Mar-2023 02:33 PM TAX TIP 💵🏠 Less Than Two Weeks to Apply For $500 One-Time Top-Up
- 21-Mar-2023 12:00 PM TAX TIP Do You Work in the Sharing Economy? Here's What You Need to Know
- 18-Mar-2023 10:15 AM TAX TIP Confirm My Representative is Now Available for Business Owners
- 14-Mar-2023 08:20 PM TAX TIP Thinking of Calling Us? Before You Do, Find The Answers You Need for Tax-Filing Season!
- 12-Mar-2023 08:29 PM TAX TIP Ready to File Your Taxes? Here's Why You Should Go Digital
- 13-Feb-2023 02:22 PM TAX TIP Were You Invited to File Your Taxes Over the Phone?
- 09-Feb-2023 08:00 AM TAX TIP Electronic Filing Of Special Elections And Returns Is Now Available