JOBS 🧑🔎🍁 Canada Announces First-Ever Category-Based Selection Invitations for Newcomers with Work Experience in Transport
Monday, 18 September 2023 12:00.PM
On May 31, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada announced changes to Express Entry through category-based selection. These changes will help address labour shortages and support economic goals by inviting candidates with specific work experience or French language ability to apply for permanent residence.
On September 18, the Honourable Marc Miller, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced that the first round of invitations for transport occupations through category-based selection in Express Entry will occur this week. This focus on candidates with experience in the transport sector—including commercial truck drivers, pilots and aircraft assembly workers—will help the sector attract the skilled talent it needs across the country.
Canada's Express Entry system is now tailored to provide a streamlined and efficient pathway for individuals with expertise in critical fields. By prioritizing the invitation of skilled newcomers with work experience in transport occupations, Canada aims to meet the increasing demand for talent and fill key positions that contribute to the nation's economic growth and advancement.
Through category-based selection, Canada reaffirms its commitment to attract top global talent and help meet the need for transport workers to support the economy. These category-based selection rounds will continue throughout the year, alongside general and program-specific invitation rounds.
"As Canada grows its economy, we're committed to improving transport and infrastructure to ensure the safe and efficient movement of goods and passengers across the country. Category-based selection helps us invite newcomers with experience in transport occupations to fill significant labour gaps and ensure the future success of the Canadian transport sector. I look forward to welcoming more skilled workers to our country, as their knowledge and expertise are invaluable, to meet our labour market needs."
– The Honourable Marc Miller, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship
• Express Entry is Canada's flagship application management system for those seeking to immigrate permanently through the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Trades Program and a portion of the Provincial Nominee Program.
• In June 2022, the Government of Canada made changes to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to allow for the selection of immigrants based on key attributes that support economic priorities, such as specific work experience or knowledge of French.
• On May 31, 2023, the Honourable Sean Fraser, former Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced the launch of category-based selection, a new process to welcome skilled newcomers with work experience in priority jobs as permanent residents.
• The categories were determined following extensive consultations with provincial and territorial partners, stakeholders and the public, as well as a review of labour market needs. A complete list of eligible jobs for the new categories is available on our website.
• Under the Canada–Québec Accord, Quebec establishes its own immigration levels. From 2018 to 2022, admissions under the federal high skilled programs—including the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Canadian Experience Class and the Federal Skilled Trades Program—accounted for 34% to 40% of overall French-speaking admissions outside Quebec.
SOURCE: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
- 30-Nov-2023 12:00 PM JOBS 🧑🔎👩🏫💻 Microsoft Expands Digital Footprint in Quebec with Usd$500 Million Investment in Infrastructure and Skilling Initiatives 💵
- 17-Nov-2023 12:00 PM TORONTO JOBS 🧑🔎👩🏫💻 Seneca Polytechnic and Siemens Partner to Provide Tools and Training to the Next Generation of Industry Leaders
- 15-Nov-2023 08:00 AM ONTARIO JOBS 🧑🔎🥘☕ 25,000 Jobs by 2025: Food and Beverage Ontario Launches Recruitment Campaign for The Province's Food and Beverage Processing Industry Workforce 💵
- 14-Nov-2023 06:36 PM ONTARIO JOBS 🧑🔎 Labatt boosts production and sustainability with $26.6M expansion of London 💵Brewery
- 14-Nov-2023 02:12 PM ONTARIO JOBS 🧑🔎🥘☕🏬 Ontario Strengthening Wage Protections for Restaurant Workers
- 11-Nov-2023 04:31 PM ONTARIO JOBS 💵 Ontario Strengthening Mining Industry Innovation and Development in the Northeast
- 10-Nov-2023 12:00 PM ONTARIO JOBS 🧑🔎👩 Ontario Helping More Women Build Skills and Get Jobs 💵
- 09-Nov-2023 12:00 PM ONTARIO JOBS 🧑🔎⚖️Ontario To Ban Requirements for Canadian Work Experience in Job Postings
- 08-Nov-2023 02:21 PM ONTARIO JOBS 🧑🔎🧑🌾 Ontario Strengthening Agri-Food Sector in the North 💵
- 03-Nov-2023 04:33 PM ONTARIO JOBS 🧑🔎 Ontario Creating Conditions for Job Growth 💵